Thursday, April 21, 2011

Vanilla Bean & Strawberries

If you know anything about me, you know that I love chocolate. Rarely do you find me baking something that doesn't include chocolate. It doesn't seem like dessert and doesn't quite satisfy the same if there isn't chocolate in my dessert. So, you may find the following sentence strange if you know me or can relate to my chocolate addiction: I made vanilla bean cupcakes with strawberry buttercream frosting topped with fresh strawberries and I thoroughly enjoyed them! They were an absolute delight. The perfect summer dessert. Even though it snowed the day I made them. Yes, you heard right, it's snowing here at the end of April. I'll accept your pity in the form of an airline ticket to anywhere south of Minnesota.
The cupcakes were very easy to make except for the recipe called for the seeds from one vanilla bean, which seems key to make vanilla bean cupcakes, right? Well, I strayed from the recipe on that one a bit. I am my fathers daughter and frugal is one of my proud qualities. 3 vanilla beans would have cost me $14.99 at the grocery store and I said no thank you! They still turned out very good, but probably would have been a little better with the bean.

The frosting was interesting, I wasn't quite sure how to do a fruit dessert since I've never made one before! I think I should have borrowed Emilee's food processor for this, the recipe recommended that but I didn't feel like going to get it! I might try that if I make these again.
Overall, the cupcakes were a hit and I got great reviews. My roommate was so kind to tell me this might have been my best baking week ever! This is another contender for the next ROTM. Let's make it fun, cast your votes for which recipe you would rather see in May :)

No comments:

Post a Comment