Wednesday, September 14, 2011

ROTM Trial Run

As promised, I baked the ROTM this past weekend. Yes, I said I was going to do it last week but I kind of forgot to. And hey, better late than never!

It was really simple to make and I tried my best to do step-by-step (day-by-day, fresh start over, a different hand to play...name that family sitcom! anyone?) pictures of the process. Not my strong suit since when I'm baking, I'm in the zone. But here goes nothing.

[Ingredients]

First, I combined the two chocolates, butter and cocoa into a microwave safe bowl.

Quick shout out to my FAS (Favorite Aunt Shannon) for the lovely set of microwave/dishwasher safe bowls she gave me as a house warming present! :) Aren't they cute?


I heated this for thirty seconds, then stirred. Heated thirty seconds, then stirred. This happened 4 times for me. If Emilee were making these in the ghetto-fab microwave at my parent's house, it would have taken at least 9 times. Just sayin'.

After all of the chocolate was melted, I set this aside and grabbed a new bowl. I put the sugar, eggs, vanilla, coffee and salt in this bowl and whisked with a fork (who's surprised that my kitchen doesn't have a whisk? no one? yeah, me neither). Side Note: I am not a huge coffee drinker so the THREE TABLESPOONS of coffee was pretty much out of the question. I didn't want to omit it completely so I added a little less than 2 tablespoons.

I, of course, forgot to take a picture of a few steps in this time frame. I'm working on this though. I asked my doctor what's wrong with me that I remember what I wore on the third day of school in 8th grade but can't seem to remember where I put my keys or cell phone. She recommended (and I forgot what she recommended so Emilee asked her yesterday when she went to see the same doctor) I start taking some vitamin D. I'll report back if this helps... I digress.

Anyways, next I added my chocolatey-buttery mixture to my sugar/egg/coffee bowl and stirred. Then added the flour and stirred a bit more.

Last, but certainly not least, I crushed up about 20 Oreos (Milk and America's favorite cookie) and added most of those to the mixture. I put this mixture in my already foiled pan and topped it with the remaining Oreos. I baked this for 33 minutes in my oven (16 minutes if you're at my parents house with possessed oven) and called it good.
I was a little nervous because they smelled so much of coffee but they ended up being quite delicious. I shared with a few of our friends we had dinner with and I brought a few to work and received a compliment on them from all. I highly recommend them! However, another side note: I never drink coffee and rarely drink pop, so my caffeine intake is usually low. I had one of these at about 8:30 pm and was a Chatty Cathy for the remainder of the evening and had a hard time falling asleep. So baker beware...
And with that, I'll leave you with this happy thought :)


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the shout out. Glad you are getting use out of the bowls. I am not sure however, that you can blame the Chatty Cathy effect on the caffeine. Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the sitcom was Step by Step (and I knew that before you put up the link...) and FAS, Crate and Barrel run to get those bowls? They look familiar from the last time I was there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FNB - Yes the bowls were from Crate & Barrel, the Parker Bowls. They always have them, but will change the colors every year or so.

    ReplyDelete