Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Strawberry Banana Muffins

Nothing like cleaning house, or I guess you could say cupboards, when it comes to baking. I had a couple extra bananas and strawberries left over and decided to use them up before they went bad. I chose a Strawberry Banana Muffin recipe with a brown sugar topping. Personally I could do without the muffin and just eat the topping but that might be frowned upon by my doctor.

For the Muffins:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cups white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 whole egg
- 1 whole very ripe banana
- 1/3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, hulled and diced

For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled and cubed

1. Preheat over to 375 degrees and line a 12 muffin serving pan
2. Combine the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
3. In a smaller bowl beat the egg and then add the banana. Mash the banana using a fork. Once combined add the milk. If they mixture doesn't appear to be creamy add the vegetable oil
4. Mix the banana mixture with the dry ingredients until just combined. Fold in the strawberries. Pour into prepared liners.
5. In a different bowl combine the sugar, flour, and cinnamon for the topping. Cut in the cold butter until you get coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over the muffins.
6. Bake for 20 minutes and eat while hot!

Strawberry Banana Muffins

Top View of the Crumble Topping

Full Strawberry chunks

Overall consensus on the recipe that it was very good, however my batch could have used a few more strawberries. But I suppose that is what happens when you try to make it work (Project Runway anyone? I am so ready for Josh to go home).

3 comments:

  1. No, I love Josh!!! I want him to win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure if you can by my FAS anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If this is how you are going to act for the next two days Bert, I won't have it. I am done!" This week...another group challenge. Let's put Josh and Bert together on their own.

    ReplyDelete