Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Owl Cake Pops

Well its a good thing Krista came out of the woodwork and our wonderful older sister Breanna did some baking, otherwise this blog would be incredibly boring! I have been busy working my normal job and at the great Minnesota Get-Together! Its been fun and exhausting and I just keep thinking it was only weekend one. Ohh well.  Today you are very lucky to get a guest blog post from Breanna. She is so incredibly creative and talented that it makes me quite jealous. I hope you enjoy her Owl Cake Pop post! Hopefully, I will resurface sometime soon after Labor Day.



Last year about this time, Holy Hannah’s posted about apple cake pops.  I brought them to school for  Workshop Week and the staff LOVED them.  Fast forward 12 months to a back-to-school gathering I was at.  My coworkers cornered me, asking what kind of cake pops I was going to bring to Workshop Week this year. 


Oops. 

Cake pops –for whatever reason – weren’t on my radar this year.  As I sat with the Cake Pop book, trying to figure out what to do, my loving hubby JB came up with the phrase “Hope your year is a HOOT” to go with Owl cake pops.  I was game!  He knows I heart anything with owls.

These owls were successful because I followed a step by step process.  Trust me…I tried taking a few shortcuts here and there with some of the steps and the guinea “owl” just fell apart.  I did not take pictures from the beginning (shame shame) but JB broke out the camera to document adding the finishing touches to the owls.   Prior to these steps, I shaped the cake balls with a slight point on the bottom.  Then I dipped the stick in the candy melt and pushed it half way into the cake ball.  Next, I added chocolate chips for the ears by dipping the bottoms in candy melt and attaching them to the top of the cake ball.  When those dried, I dipped the entire ball in candy melt so that we had what you see below.

Plain Owls

In order to add the details to the owls, you need pink flower shaped sprinkles, white candy necklace pieces, and orange rock candy sprinkles. 

Ingredients

Using a toothpick, dab a small amount of candy melt on the owl.  Add the eyes and the beak.



Following the same procedure, add the feet.



And voila!  Cake pop owls. 




Finally, this is a picture of the finished product, all set for school tomorrow!  Wish me luck!


Hope Your Year is a Hoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment