Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Sugar Cookies with Butterscotch Glaze

I have a huge stack of recipes I find on the Internet, print out, and hope to make someday. This specific recipe has been at the top of the stack for a few weeks and I am so glad I finally got around to making these.

It is a simple sugar cookie recipe with one extra ingredient, butter flavoring extract. With an amazing butterscotch glaze that I could have eaten by the spoonful.

Here are the ingredients you will need for the Sugar Cookies

Flour, Baking Powder, Sugar, Brown Sugar, Butter, Egg, Butter Flavoring, and Vanilla

Pre-head oven to 350 degrees. Start by whisking 3 cups of flour and 2 tsp of baking powder. Set aside.


Cream 2 sticks of butter with 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of brown sugar.




Add 1 egg


Add 1 tsp butter flavoring extract


Add 1 tbsp vanilla extract


Mix until well-blended. Gradually add the flour mixture and beat until just combined. Scrap down the sides and bottom of the bowl between additions.


Roll the dough onto a floured surface and roll cookies out to 1/4 inch. Cut into desired shape.  


Place onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 9 minutes.


Cookies should be a light brown on the outside. Let sit for a few minutes and transfer to a cooling rack. I was able to get four dozen cookies out of this recipe.

While the cookies are cooling you can begin making your Butterscotch Glaze

The ingredients needed are:


Butterscotch Chips, Light Corn Syrup, Evaporated Milk, Salt

I feel quite bad for butterscotch chips. I like to think of them as The Forgotten Chip. Hardly any recipes call out for them and I find them to be quite delicious.

The following measurements will be enough to cover 2 dozen cookies.

Place one bag of butterscotch chips, 1/4 cup evaporated milk, 2 tbsp light corn syrup, and a pinch of salt into a double boiler. Stir occasionally until melted and smooth.


I forgot to take a picture of what the glaze should look like once completely melted, but I have full faith in your abilities to figure it out.

Place the cooling cookie, which are still on the wire rack, on top of parchment paper and drizzle the glaze over the cooled cookies. Please try and control you every desire to eat the glaze plain.

The final results, a soft sugar cookies covered in a scrumptious butterscotch glaze.

Slew

The Butterscotch Glaze makes my mouth water!

Tower of Sugar Cookies with Butterscotch Glaze

I am so glad I finally made this recipe. I am not a huge fan of sugar cookies (i.e. they are a lot of work) but these are well worth it! I am excited to adapt this butterscotch glaze to other dessert, maybe poured on top of cheesecake! I don't think anyone would mind. =]  If you have extra time this weekend, whip some of these up,  your family would not be disappointed with this treat.

1 comment:

  1. how hot did you have this glaze cook at?
    and does the glaze solidify when cooled?

    ReplyDelete