Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Brief History Lesson

So I thought I would give you all a brief history lesson on where the baking all began.

This is my boyfriend Tyler, he is pretty studly. I met Tyler at the good old University of Wisconsin Eau Claire. Tyler's hometown is Appleton WI - pretty much on the opposite side of the state. So our freshman year came and went and we were faced with the uphill battle of a summer apart. I know every person enjoys receiving mail so I decided that I would mail him a different type of cookie every week. So began the baking! He told me his favorite type of cookie was Snickerdoodle. I had never even heard of it but I attempted them anyways. They have since become a staple in the cookie making.


Tyler's birthday is July 2nd. Happy birthday last Friday Ty! So we had ventured into cakes quite yet so for his birthday I brought frosted sugar cookies in 2006. Check out that American flag action.


Apparently for 2007 Tyler didn't get anything special for his birthday. I am sure the treats included molasses cookies, snickerdoodle cookies, special k bars and whatever other weird treats I concocted.

Moving onto July 2008 Krista and I tried our hand at our very first fondant cake. We made homemade fondant and as far as I can remember we struggled. So this was Tyler's big 2-1 birthday and his cake pretty much looked liked it should have been for a 2 year old. Sorry babe, thanks for always saying you loved it!

In 2009 I tried a different approach. I told him to give me an ingredient and I would run with it. Can anyone guess the ingredient of choice?? Mint! So Tyler got some sort of mint chocolate chip chocolate cake. I'm pretty sure it was good. Do you like my artistic touch on the top?


So this past week, I'm not going to lie, I was caked-out. Cake ball overload! So Thursday night as I debated what to make for Tyler's birthday treat I settled on the old standby, Molasses cookies. These are one of Tyler's favorite and he loved them!


So we do bake other things besides cake balls! But here we are in 2010 and I am still baking all thanks to the boyfriend. So I guess I owe it to him when we make it big.

1 comment:

  1. Emilee Duffey!!! What the heck do you mean saying that you never even heard of a snickerdoodle? You have eaten them at my house a gazillion times. But it's ok. I'm willing to accept the fact the they are not my best cookie (that would be chocolate chip and you better remember those!) so they made not have left a lasting impression. So no hard feelings. : ) Anyway, I'm very impressed by your amazing baking skills and I hope when you become famous and rich, rich, rich, you will remember that I used to make you cookies on cold winter afternoons and send me a giant box of Minnesota themed cake balls. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete