Thursday, July 22, 2010

No Bake Cafeteria Food

My boyfriend Mike once told me one of his favorite things about me was that I had a sister who could bake. Every time Mike and I hang out with Emilee and Tyler, she just so happens to bring along some sort of baked good and Mike really enjoys that.


I told Mike I could bake just as well as my sister (that's a bold faced lie) so he challenged me to make his all time favorite treat. When I asked him what his favorite treat was, he didn't have a name or a recipe for the treat, he simply described them as "bars with the peanut buttery bottom, and the chocolate on top." I know your mind jumped straight to Special K bars as fast as mine did, but he said they were NOT special K bars, they were better. The lunch lady at his elementary school back in Montana used to make them and they were the BEST! You've got to me kidding me, right? But, I never back down from a challenge so I set out to make these mystery cafeteria bars. Emilee was lucky enough to stumble across a recipe that sounded exactly like what he was talking about so I set out to make them. The best part about these bars...you don't even have to bake them!




Don't worry, Mike and I had no problem dominating an entire row of these bars last night. His roommate had the tiny sliver out of the next row.

The online recipe called these "Hollywood Squares." I'm not a huge fan of the name so Mike and I decided to rename them. He's hoping we go with "Double Turkey Motor Mike Bars," and I surprisingly kind of like that, but we'll take your suggestions if you have them!

3 comments:

  1. 1. A lot of people around here make Special K bars with Rice Crispy cereal. It sucks compaired to Special K.
    2. Please post this recipe so that i can make these and dominate the entire pan myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Double Turkey Motor Mike Bars describes them perfectly! ?????????? Did they taste just like the bars Mike remembers or is this project still a work in progress?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chels -
    1. That is just wrong, they are called Special K bars for a reason.
    2. We are going to have a recipes tab at some point, I will be sure to add this when we do. If you want it before then I can email it to you

    Shannon - Glad you like the name! Mike said they were exactly what he remembers and he loved them :)

    ReplyDelete