Friday, July 30, 2010

Baking Extravaganza

So last night I set about to make multiple different treats. Tyler's brother and sister-in-law are coming into town this weekend so I felt the need to whip up some goodies for them.

I cant say that last night was the best night in my baking career but I survived and was able to get out of bed this morning.

First item on the agenda, homemade blueberry muffins. I have never made these before and decided it would be a great time to try. Not to toot my own horn but these were a success. Kasey, my favorite guinea pig, was over and just about died when she tried one.


Next was Malted Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies. These cookies are meant to be thin and I knew this going in. So the first batch went into the oven, cooked perfectly, cooled, and then STUCK to the pan. And when I say stuck - I mean these stinkers wouldn't move - I had to soak the pan in water to get the cookie sheet clean. First major bummer of the night. Next tray went in the oven, got OVERcooked, cooled, STUCK to the pan, and went directly in a sink of water. Second major bummer of the night, now I am annoyed. So I decided to try parchment paper. Put a pan in the oven and within 3 minutes the bottoms of the cookies were black. I mean so burnt my father wouldn't even eat them. (Side note - our oven is really really sensitive - on all recipes I turn the oven down a good 50 degrees to make up for the issues - I always blame the oven - and lecture my dad on how he needs a new one) So these cookies went directly into the trash, third major bummer of the night. So my next idea was to turn the oven down really low, I am talking 250 degrees here people, and see how the cookies baked. Well they turned out, finally! Out of an entire batch of cookies, I got a measly 12 cookies. How pathetic. I was NOT feeling the love, even though you might think so from the cookie below...


(the making of this cookie was not intentional)

So I took a mental break, went to the gym, back to the grocery store, and back home to the oven. Whipped out another entire batch of cookies (all of them working this time - HOORAY!) Then moved on to my third baking item, Special K bars. I got out all of my ingredients and was just about to turn on the stove and realized I didn't have enough Karo syrup...fourth major bummer of the night...that was it, I threw in the towel and called it a night. Last night wasn't meant to be, hopefully today will go better!

1 comment:

  1. I was just watching Julie and Julia which reminded me to check for updates on Holy Hannah's blog. My mouth is watering looking at the photos of the homemade blueberry muffins and the malted milk chocolate chip cookies. They look and sound delicious! I love the improvements to the blog, very user friendly and informative. Keep up the great work ladies!!!

    ReplyDelete