Thursday, July 21, 2011

No Bake Cookies

Yesterday I got the itch to bake, but due to the No Baking Ban I figured it was a lost cause. I tried to distract myself by reading and attempting to take a nap but my brain kept wandering to the fact I was craving a homemade goodie. I decided to do a little Internet browsing and found there are lots of No Bake Cookie recipes. I thought I had hit the jackpot!

Most of the recipes were similar in ingredients and process so I jotted down the ingredients and hit the kitchen.

No Bake Cookies use 7 basic ingredients that most people have in their houses. The best kind of new recipes to try are the ones where you already have all the ingredients on hand!

The Goods
Butter, Milk, Peanut Butter, Sugar, Vanilla, Quick Oats, Cocoa Powder


The first step is to melt 1 stick of butter, 1/2 cup of milk, 2 cups of sugar, and 1/2 cup of cocoa powder over medium heat.


Once these four ingredients have melted together and have boiled for one minute, you add in the remaining ingredients, 1/2 cup of peanut butter, 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla, and 3 cups of oats.


Stir all the ingredients until combined. I then used my cookie scoop and placed them on my silicone baking sheets to harden. I put my in the fridge to speed along the process. Truth of the matter these actually taste much better when they are cold!

Just a little side note, my father came home from work yesterday and looked in the fridge and saw the cookies. His exact words "Emilee Ann I told you there wasn't suppose to be any baking this week!" When he busts out the middle name you know he is upset! I was happy to reply that these cookies didn't require any baking.

No Bake Cookies Slew

No Bake Cookies Close Up

A few quick notes I would like to make about this recipe. This is the perfect treat to whip up on a hot summer day, or week if you are in Minnesota. When kept in the fridge they are cool and refreshing to snack on. Next time I make these I am going to try using Rice Krispies instead of the Quick Oats. Some of my family members aren't huge oatmeal fans so it would be a nice substitute. Finally the next time around I might add a little more peanut butter. These were very chocolatey and rich and I think a little extra dollop (I love that word!) of peanut butter would do the trick.

So whether you are located in Minnesota, Atlanta, or Arizona these cookies will be your saving grace in the (no)bake department!

2 comments:

  1. You should have replied back with "Well Kevin Fitzpatrick, these cookies were not baked in the oven!" He would have loved that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man oh man I wish I was as sassy as you are Auntie Shannon!!! =]

    ReplyDelete