Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Strawberry Lemonade Bars

One of my thoughts for Tyler's birthday cake was to make a Strawberry Shortcake Cake, but you all know the story, Ty rates strawberries as a 7. Needless to say I had a few extra strawberries around. I found a recipe online for Strawberry Lemonade Bars. The title immediately caught my attention because what doesn't quench the thirst better on a hot summer day than Strawberry Lemonade?


This was my first experience baking fruit not inside a pie. I wasn't quite sure the exact science of baking fruit bars but hope our oven would cooperate and bake the bars to perfection. Mom was the first guinea pig and gave them the A-OKAY. I brought the bars into work for one of my co-worker's birthday and they were a hit. This will be in the recipe box to be made at least once a summer.

The first step in this recipe is to make a basic shortbread crust for the bottom of the bars. It is a mixture of sugar, butter, flour, and salt

Shortbread Crust

Here is a look at the food processor with all the strawberry lemonade goodness inside. I am so glad I bought a food processor, you don't realize how often they can come in handy.

Strawberry Lemonade Mix

Once the crust has set you pour the strawberry lemonade mixture over it and bake until the filling is set.

Strawberry Lemonade Pre-Baking

There is a lighter color crust that forms on the top of the bars, I was worried at first, but my mother informed me that is completely normal with strawberries (or rhubarb).

Strawberry Lemonade Bars Post-Baking

Once the bars have cooled top with powdered sugar

Powdered Sugar

A final look at the bars after they have been cut, sooo yummy!

Strawberry Lemonade Bar Side View

Strawberry Lemonade Bar Top View

No comments:

Post a Comment